If anyone would like to add to these please contact us with your information and we will add as soon as possible.
TERRY OF NEW
Terry was born in 1771 in Askrigg, Yorkshire, England. He died in 1844.
He married Martha Powell on 12 Jul 1797 in Hornby By Bedale,
TERRY FAMILY, 1819 AND THEIR MILL. From A History of New
K.R. von Stieglitz, O.B.E. distributed by Fuller's Book Shop, Cat & Fiddle
"On Thursday last, 5th,
since, His Majesty's colonial brig Prince Leopold, Mr Chafe, commander, Passengers Mr and Mrs John
Terry with 3 sons and 8 daughters and 2 servants. Mr Terry brings a pair of mill stones and a variety
of utensils for the purpose of erecting a water mill at this settlement, and the place fixed for that
undertaking we are informed is at New Norfolk".
The information received by the Gazette proved to be correct, and John Terry, encouraged by Gov.
Sorell, built his first little dwelling, the Lachlan Mill House, which stood between Tynwald and the
river, and is remembered by the oldest members of the Terry family as being used for a laundry,
storehouse and playhouse for the family then living at Tynwald.
Tynwald (now owned by Mr Plunkett) was given its name by the Hon. W. Moore (born on the Isle of
Man), who bought it and built several alterations, including the tower. It was originally the home of
John Terry, and was inherited by his son Ralph, who carried on the family milling business. A
wooden cottage, still inhabited, but now in a neglected condition, stands further along the hillside
from Tynwald near the Millbrook Rise institution. This was also built and used by John Terry.
Thomas Terry, another son, inherited SLATEFORD, which has been a Terry property since 1827,
when it was bought from George Brookes. The original house was of stone, but there have been many alterations, and it is now divided in two, one section being the home of Mr Garrard Terry, the
other that of Mr Gadesden Terry.
Edward Terry inherited ASKRIGG. Of the pioneer Terry daughters, Margaret married Capt. George
Mary married James Walker of the old
married Borrodale Wilson, who
owned Clarendon, at
The MILL-RACE that John Terry built may still be traced quite easily. It runs through varying types of
soil and clay and rocky ground to the ruined mill itself, which was built of warm, russet-coloured,
local mud-stone. The three storeys are now nearly covered with ivy, and the remains of a miller's
house, also of mudstone, stands near by. Fire burnt out all the mill's woodwork at the beginning of
The vegetable garden at
the hiss by the bridge.
A second mill on the
race. Water was channeled to this mill from a quarter of a mile or so upstream.
John Terry, the man who built
the famous mill, came from
NSW. (The Historical Record I, X state that "Mr Terry, free settler, his wife and eleven children, came
climate and conditions there
were not to his liking, he came to
Governor Macquarie granted John Terry 1,500 acres at New Norfolk, of which 100 were at the mouth
running back into
by Merilyn Pedrick
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2011 Graves of Tasmania