Gravesites Of Tasmania

Back
 

 

If you could spare a few dollars to help with the running costs of hosting this website to keep it alive would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou from Gravesites of Tasmania in advance.

Visitor Contributions

Free Settlers

If anyone would like to add to these please contact us with your information and we will add as soon as possible.

 

CAPTAIN GEORGE FREDERICK READ    

Supposedly the son of George, Prince of Wales and Maria Fitzherbert he was born on 29 Sep 1788 in London , England . He died on 23 Jul 1860 in "Leyburn", Newtown , Tasmania . He was buried on 26 July1860 in St David's Cemetery, Hobart , Tasmania . He married Margaret Terry on 24 Nov 1824 in St David's Cathedral.  

Australian Dictionary of Biography.

READ,GEORGE FREDERICK (1788-1860), merchant, settler and banker, was born on 29 September 1788 in London .  He went to sea when 11 and was probably engaged in the East India Co.'s maritime service until 1808.  Later he recorded in his journal that he visited the Derwent settlement that year and again in 1812, but was irritated by having his cargo commandeered and his crew placed on rations.  He is believed to have brought the first merchant vessel through Torres Strait, and he continued to trade between Hobart Town , Sydney , Batavia , Calcutta and China .  

In May 1814 as master and part-owner of the "Amelia", a Brig built in Bombay and registered in Calcutta of some 80 tons, 2 guns and a crew of 20, he brought tea, sugar, rum and tobacco from Calcutta to Sydney and returned with wine and whale oil.  When the "Amelia returned to Sydney from Calcutta in 1815 it was under the command of Capt. Sam. Shaw. It is recorded in the Rev. Knopwood's Diary of June 1815 that the "Lynx" arrived in Hobart from Sydney carrying flour and horses.  In 1816-18 he made voyages between Sydney , the Derwent, Batavia and Calcutta in his brig "Lynx".  By July 1818 the "Lynx" was under the command of Capt. Siddins who eventually purchased the vessel.  In 1816 he was granted a town allotment in Sydney and a grant of 500 acres in the country, but he suffered from asthma and in June 1818 moved to Hobart in the brig "Sophia" which arrived on July 11 under the command of Capt. James Kelly. His wife and son arrived in the "Jupiter" on 11th October that year under the command of Capt. Ainsworth. 

He transferred his merchant establishment there and later formed partnerships with W.A. Bethune and Charles McLachlan.  In 1819 he was granted 800 acres at Redlands , Plenty, and four government servants.  In 1822 he built a stone warehouse on Hunter's Island facing Sullivan's Cove (the old wharf) and was appointed a magistrate.  He was one of the original proprietors of the Bank of Van Diemen's Land and its managing director from 1827 to 1849, living for some time in a 'comfortably fixed' villa on the Derwent.  In 1829 he resumed the former business of Read & Bethune, and from then until 1852 acted as agent for John Ingle.

He took a very considerable part in the development of the young colony, not least in its maritime industries, was one of the most important men in its formative years and contributed greatly to the community's welfare.  He had interests in several ships trading to India , China and the Philippines , in which his third son, Henry (1828-1894), made several voyages as supercargo, and his ships took part in sealing and whaling.  He was a good practical farmer, grew fine wheat, made bricks and helped to

establish the salmon ponds at Redlands .  He had other properties: Ivanhoe and Kinvarra, in the Plenty-New Norfolk district, Seton near Richmond , and Thornhill near Sorell.  He also had a three-storied stone tea-warehouse in Salamanca Place , Hobart , other Hobart town property, and city sections bought at Melbourne 's first land sale.  He was versatile, enterprising and far-sighted.  Lieut-Governor Sorell spoke highly of him, made him an assessor in the Lieut-Governor's Court and in 1822  appointed him a magistrate; however, he fell out with Lieut-Governor Arthur, protested against

licencing the press, and was removed from the magistracy.In 1816 at St Philip's Sydney , he married Elizabeth Driver; they had one son, G.F. Read junior (1817-

1854), a pioneer at Port Phillip, and two d au ghters.  His wife died on 19 August 1821, and on 24 November 1824 at St David's Hobart , he married Margaret (1800-1889), d au ghter of John Terry, a flour-miller of New Norfolk.  By his second marriage he had six sons and four d au ghters.  He died at his home, Leyburne, New Town, on 23 July 1860.

Several of his letters to John Ingle were published under the title "Tasmanian Letters 1824-1852 ( Christchurch , 1945).

Family legend has it that George was the son of George IV & Mrs Fitzherbert, but no proof has ever been found.  On the contrary, when my grandmother Lilly Muriel Smith and her twin, Pearl, were in London , they found that pages had been torn out of every document they investigated.

Latterly, James Moss of Sydney discovered that Elizabeth Gore's father had been coachman to the governess of the baby George IV.

 

Submitted by Merilyn Pedrick

Email pedricks@ozemail.com.au

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.

Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.

Copyright 2011 Graves of TasmaniaGravesites Of Tasmania