Gravesites Of Tasmania



If you could spare a few dollars to help with the running costs of hosting this website to keep it alive would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou from Gravesites of Tasmania in advance.



Convict No. 90546 Departure Port : Dublin
Conduct Record: Con 41/35 Departure Date 8th June 1852
Indent Con 15/7 Ship Name: “Martin Luther”
Description List Con 19/10 Arrival Date 1.09.1852

Convicted in Ireland for stealing a cow she was assigned to Mr. John Gillon a respected stonemason and owner of a quarry for some years before she married George Marks a free man on the 9th September 1856 (Permission to Marry Con 52/7 Page 297)

Over the next six years three sons are born to them- Henry 1857, William 1857 and George 1862.

The family eventually moves to Goose Island , a tiny island in Bass Strait to the north of the Tasmanian Coast and to the west of Flinders Island , where they lived from 1865 until 1871 when her husband died.  He is actually buried in the tiny churchyard on Goose Island and his death registered at George Town .  After his death she and the boys moved back to Hobart .

Mary died 1906 and was buried in the Roman Catholic section at Cornelian Bay.

Information submitted by Andrea Marks  












Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.

Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.

Copyright © 2011 Graves of TasmaniaGravesites Of Tasmania