St Joseph's Catholic Church Hobart
Designed by James Thomson, a former convict, and built of sandstone by convict labour, St. Joseph’s Church was built in 1841 and finished in 1843. The 60 foot high tower was finished in 1843.
The side chapel was built in 1877 as a choir for the Sisters of Charity who lived for nearly 100 years in what is now the presbytery. Extensive restoration has been carried out over the past 35 years.
St. Joseph’s is the oldest Catholic Church in Hobart and the first Bishop of Hobart, Robert William Willson was installed in St. Joseph’s on 12 May 1844.
The pews in the church were made in 1891 from New Zealand kauri pine.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania