ST. Peter's Lutheran Church Hobart
The foundation stone for the church was laid on 21st. July 1870 by Henry Hopkins who would die nine days later.
The new Davey Street building was completed the following year to an architectural design by Crouch and Wilson of Melbourne. The dedication service took place on 11th August 1871
It was reported in “The Mercury”
“It will be remembered that a tender was accepted by the trustees for the whole work at 1440 pounds, the building to be of the Gothic style of architecture occupying an area of 66’ x 38’-the accommodation provided to be for 350 worshippers, the brown stone to be used in the building to be supplied from the Summerleas quarries and the white stone from Bridgewater…a more snug, comfortable and well finished church could hardly have been wished for.”
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania