ST. Georges Battery Point Tasmania
Built in historic Battery Point which is named after a battery of guns (since removed) that was established on the point in 1818.
Land for the church was purchased from a Mr. Kermode (who at the time owned most of the land in the area) for the sum of two hundred and fifty pounds and it was built by John Wright at a cost of 2479 pounds half of which was paid for by the Government.
The building of St. Georgeís began in 1836 with the architect of the nave being John Lee Archer and the tower and portico were designed by James Blackburn.
The foundation stone was laid by Governor Arthur on the 19th October 1836 and the church was consecrated on 26th May 1838 by the Rt. Rev. W. G. Broughton who was assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon W. Hutchins and the Rev. W. Bedford of St. Davidís.
The tower and the porch of St. Georgeís were designed by Blackburn in 1841. At this time Government was anxious that a spire be erected to serve as a beacon for shipping. The tower was completed in 1847 and the portico was built in 1888 at a cost of 637 pounds with the builders being Seabrook and Reynolds.
In the 1970ís extensive renovations were carried out and thanks to the generosity of the people of Hobart the church is now floodlit at night.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania