HOLY TRINITY CHURCH HOBART TASMANIA
Designed by convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) and built at a cost of 4,484 pounds, the foundation stone was laid by Sir John Franklin, Governor of Tasmania, in October 1841.
The freestone from which the church is built was donated by the Colonial Government and obtained from a quarry near Government House.
The Church was completed in 1847, services commenced in 1848 and it was consecrated 27th December 1849.
In 1847 Holy Trinity purchased a peal of eight bells from Mears & Co Whitechapel England and the installation of the bells was supervised by William Champion who recruited and trained a band of ringers. This was the first peal of bells in Australia.
Over the years a large amount of restoration work has been carried out on both the exterior and interior of the church. At the present time it has been reported that a 5 million dollar restoration is required to save the church. (see below)
The burial ground which was on five and a half acres of land and had 5,113 burials registered was closed in 1923 with remains being moved to Cornelian Bay Cemetery. Campbell Street Primary School and playground were built on the site.
“The Mercury” 21st. February 2007
ALLOWING Holy Trinity Church and its restored bells to rot would be a monumental shame resulting in the loss of hundreds of years of Hobart history and tradition, bell ringers say.
News that the historic Warwick St church will crumble to the ground without a $5 million restoration to cure its sandstone cancer has disappointed the 15 to 20 Hobart residents who regularly ring the bells of the well-known church.
Without a viable church, the bell ringers say they will no longer be able to share the sounds of the church's bells with Hobart residents, killing off a tradition that began at the church in the late 1840s.
And they say an important piece of Hobart history will be lost forever.
"It's a living slice of history," South Hobart resident and Australian and New Zealand Bell Ringers president Doug Nichols said of the church and its bell-ringing traditions.
"The bells are not only very important to us as bell ringers, but to the history and feel of Hobart.
"They are Australia's oldest bells and the Federal Government spent quite a bit of money restoring them back in 1988 -- they are in great condition, so it would be a great shame for them to sit idle."
Holy Trinity and St David's Cathedral are the only two churches in Tasmania with multiple bell towers.
Towering over Hobart, the Holy Trinity bell tower has been a landmark since it was completed in 1848. The bells, which became derelict in the 1960s, were shipped back to the UK in 1988 -- where they were originally cast -- as part of an $84,000 restoration for the bicentenary.
The inside of the bell tower also received a facelift. But on the outside the tower has lost one of its spires and a second is in danger of falling.
A visit to the bell room -- where bells still ring every second Sunday morning -- is like a trip back in time.
"There are pictures of ringers from the 1880s, awards that have been won -- it's all up there, like a bit of ancient history”
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania