St. James The Apostle New Town Tasmania
A generous donation of 1,000 pounds by Mrs. Gilchrist Watt and a further subscription of 500 pounds towards the purchase of a site made it possible to begin work immediately. The building was designed by Rudolph Koch and is brick with a tile roof
The Church was dedicated on 4th September 1916
The first rector was the Reverend C. W. Wilson B.A. (afterwards Canon) under whose direction it very quickly developed into a strong, well equipped and organised parish.
After the death of Mrs. Watt 1923 it was found she had bequeathed her large two storey house in Augusta Road to the church to be used as a rectory and 5,000 pounds towards the completion of the church which was enlarged at that time.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania