St Peter's Sandy Bay
The foundation stone for the church was laid on the 2nd. February 1918 using stone from the old ďMarinerís ChurchĒ which was on the waterfront at Hobart.
St. Peterís was dedicated and opened by Bishop Stephen on the 16th July 1918 but the first service was not held until Sunday 21st. July when the preacher was Bishop Cranswick of Gippsland.
At this time St. Peterís was part of the parish of St. George at Battery Point and is now known as the Bay West Anglican Parish which was formed by the amalgamation of St. Peterís and St. John the Baptist West Hobart which occurred in 1998
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania