MATTHEW’S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH GLENORCHY
Designed by James Blackburn,
who had been convicted for forgery and transported in 1833 and built by the
Hobart firm of Kirk & Fisher on land that was donated by George Hull at a
cost of one thousand five hundred pounds the foundation stone was laid by Sir
John Franklin on the 20th December 1839 and the building was ready
for worship by 1841.
The first minister for St. Matthew’s was the Rev. Charles Simson who arrived in 1841 and remained as minister until 1870
Between the years 1842 until 1872 there were approximately 160 burials in this churchyard and after that most people were buried at Cornelian Bay
It is interesting to note that
the cemetery attached to the church was at the front of the building and this
land was later acquired by the Glenorchy City Council for road widening.
In return the Church was given a small block of land at the rear of the
Church (now used for car parking) with a house that had been occupied by the
It was at this time the headstones were removed and placed around the Church.
St Matthews as it is today
Members of our families associated with this Church are Tilyard, Holly, O’Brien Hull, Barton and Butterworth
St Matthews early 1900
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania