ST Luke's Bothwell
Designed by colonial
architect, John Lee Archer but not entirely accepted by Governor Arthur who
insisted that the pointed style and gothic window be included.
Much of the materials were prepared at Bothwell for example
500 bushels of lime which
was quarried and burned on the property of John Thompson, forty loads of sand
were to be brought along with 3,000 shingles and 120 loads of stone which came
from the quarries on the outskirts of the township.
The foundation stone was
laid by Alexander Reid of “Ratho” on 24th May 1830. The Church, dedicated to St. Luke is enhanced
by two Celtic symbols, male and female, set on either side of the doorway,
representing fertility. There sculptures were the work of Daniel Herbert who
left many examples of his work in Bothwell.
He is also responsible for the icons decorating the
The clock in the tower was a
gift from Dennistoun Wood, and the bell bears the inscription T. Meares,
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania