St John The Baptist Goulburn Street Hobart
Designed by Frederick Thomas work was started on the stone church in December 1852 and it was completed at a cost of 4,300 pounds. It was opened for worship in 1856 and consecrated in the same year. It was referred to as the “Free Church” as there were no pew rents. The Chancel was rebuilt in 1903 and the crypt renovated and lit up in 1966.
It has a window given by the son of Lieutenant Governor Arthur and did possess a chalice of Spanish origin which was hundreds of years old.
The church was sold with the stained glass windows intact and the organ which had been built in London in 1880 by Bevington & Sons and is now known as “Pendragon Hall” and is used for overnight accommodation.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania