METHODIST CHURCH GLENORCHY
The original Chapel at
Glenorchy was built in 1828 on the corner of now Chapel Street and Main Road and
even after the new Church opened 5th October 1910 the ‘Old
Chapel’ was still used as a Sunday School.
Hallam family were very involved with the chapel at O'Briens Bridge, Thomas
Hallam used to send men from Millbrook to assist with fencing etc. John Buckney
actually built the stables in Rev Bridgwoods
(1895). He also put up the board
fence on the
Alberta Hallam, daughter of Thomas Hallam and her husband Arthur Walter Dennis
were the last couple to be married in the Old Chapel on 30th April 1908.
Arthur Walter Dennis was later appointed Trustee at a Trust meeting held
on the 14th. August 1919.
Hallam and his wife Maria with daughter Hannah and various other members of the
Hallam and Webb families were buried at the Old Chapel.
Rosetta, wife of William Henry Hallam was later reinterred at
the early 1900's the Chapel at O'Briens Bridge was no longer feasible and it was
decided to build a new chapel in the area.
On the 24th February 1910 a Memorandum of
Gift was drawn up by John Hallam deeding to the Trustees
of the Church at that time, namely the Reverend Vaudin, William Henry
Hallam, John Buckney, John Cramp, Herbert Inches, Clarence Fremlin and Wilfrid
Waterhouse, all that piece of land comprising an allotment situated on the
building of the new church was certainly a family affair with Johns'
brother (William Henry) son in law (Clarence Fremlin) and William Henry's
son in law (John Buckney) as trustees, John donating the land, Thomas Hallam supplying
some of the bricks and William Henry's son Sydney Augustus receiving the
princely sum of Five pounds for the cartage of 10,000
bricks at 8 shillings per thousand. John
Buckney was also Secretary to the New Church Committee during the building of
the new Church up until the time he left Glenorchy.
was also at this time that the first of the stained glass windows was
commissioned by the family for the church and Bertha Elizabeth (nee Von Bibra)
wife of John, wrote to Mr. Vaudin with
her choice on May 21st. 1910.
this stage John was a member of the local school board of Advice, was
Superintendent of the Wesleyan Sunday School and was a local preacher.
his role as Superintendent of the Sunday school John had the moulding of many
young boys in the area whom he used to advise “Be a good student of Gods
Word”. John Buckney who later was
to become a preacher himself spoke of John Hallam's spiritual personality in a
letter to Harry Smith Secretary of the Church Trust at Glenorchy and how it was
those early years in John Hallams Sunday school class that inspired him to enter
foundation stone for the new church was laid by John Hallam on the 16th
April 1910. The church was opened on
5th October 1910 by Rev. F. Lade and this was followed by the dedication service
on the 9th October
Hallam family also have the distinction of having the first couple married in
the new church. This was Daisy Holly
Hallam daughter of Charles William Hallam and Catherine Baggott who married the
Reverend Albert M. Horton on the 31st. May 1915.
Please note that there might be information from other websites or brochures "reprinted" here- under the laws of "fair use". In every instance -we hope- we have provided a direct link to the owners web site. We do not claim rights or ownership to any of their information. We do thank them sincerely for their efforts. We have in every instance made a good faith effort to contact and request 'reprint' permission. Nonetheless, we do want to be certain that nothing gets lost due to web site disappearance and the like, so it appears duplicated here.
Gravesites Of Tasmania, Honouring the past, building understanding.
Copyright © 2014 Graves of Tasmania